Sunday, April 16, 2006

The Piano

I was lazing around, as usual, on this wonderful Sunday afternoon when I heard this plucking of piano coming from the TV. Not that it was such a beautiful rendition, it was the fact that the pianist was playing it while lying on the floor! Yes. I mean, he was lying under the piano, facing the keys above him, both arms reaching above and actually playing a complete piece! Imagine that? Just for Variety. A very funny show, that was.

What actually triggered me was my fond memories of my music lessons way back during my school days. I wanted so much to learn music, then, and it was my choosing of between the piano and the electronic keyboard (organ). I end up choosing the organ, although I prefer the sound of the piano more.

By the time I started to learn music formally, I'd already knew how to read the notes. So it was just a matter of choosing what songs to play, correctly and systematically. If I chose to learn the piano, I would have to learn the classical songs first. That was the way the syllabus was arranged back then. I didn't like that idea. I don't really enjoy classical songs, whoever the composers are.

On the other hand, learning the organ is to immediately learn modern pop songs. That's more like it. That's what I want!

Therefore, the organ was my fastest means to achieve my ultimate goal to be able to play music I like. So I learned to play the organ. Went through some exams of which I had to play songs of my choice (I especially remember The Masquare and When Will I See You Again) with my own creative arrangement and succesfully finished up to the sixth grade. The rest was history. I could play some of my favourite songs, provided I have the notes in front of me.

But that was some 20 years ago. The JVC organ is still in Ayah and Mak's home back in Perlis. Our children will endulge themselves with the instrument and God knows what songs they play. Whenever I go back during Hari Raya, I would always play Seloka Aidil Fitri (or something like that - forgot the title)...and play the song without the notes in front of me. Maybe I should try out some of Mawi's songs...He...he..he..

4 comments:

Ayah said...

Boleh ler kita gi MPO bila ada piano recital nanti...

Ayah said...

lamanya main piano... pi la naik katebang ke, ke mana ke ...

Ayah said...

happy besday baby danisy...

maklijah said...

ayah: nak tunggu pak lijah balik from vienna dulu baru nak berenti main piano.